Manager - Care Management Extender
Company: Vaya Health
Posted on: January 25, 2023
LOCATION: Remote - Alamance/Rowan Counties, NC *Remote candidates
must live in/ near the counties being served
SALARY: Depending on qualifications & experience of candidate. This
position is non-exempt and is eligible for overtime
GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB:The Manager, Care Manager Extender,
hereafter referred to as Extender Manager, will oversee the
operation, communication/team dynamics, problem solving, and
oversight of the Care Management Extenders who support care
managers in delivering Tailored Care Management and fulfilling the
member contact requirements. The Extender Manager will support the
Extenders to help Vaya Care Management best meet the needs of
members, build efficient care teams by creating additional
workforce capacity, and allow care managers and supervisors to
focus on key tasks for assigned members as well as permit them
additional time for members with intensive or complex needs.
Certain components of Tailored Care Management will always be led
by a care manager. However, some functions may be performed by an
Extender as part of Tailored Care Management.Extender Manager will
report to Director of Care Management and remain within, and assist
Extenders to remain within, the scope delineated in this job
description and only performing functions within their training,
scope, and abilities. Extenders will participate with the Care
Manager and care team in supporting the member and integrate care
team's goal in a holistic approach and document interactions and
activities within the identified administrative healthcare record
according to departmental standards. Extender Manager will ensure
Extenders are in regular communication with Supervising care
managers and care managers and coordinating efforts to mitigate
duplicative or inappropriate outreach to assigned members.
Essential job functions include, but may not be limited to
knowledge of or performance of:
- CM Platform basics
- Outreach & Engagement
- Release of Information practices
- Health Risk Assessment
- Medication List and Continuity of Care process
- Care Planning
- Interdisciplinary Care Team and Ongoing Care Management
- Transition Planning
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:Management of Extender Team
Functions:Extenders may support care managers in delivering
Tailored Care Management by performing activities that fall within
the below categories:
- Effectively implement organizational priorities, quality
initiatives and programs.
- Represent Vaya Health at designated community stakeholder,
provider and NC Department of Health and Human Services related
- Supervise the Care Management Extender Team ensuring training
needs are met and the team is working collaboratively.
- Supervision and administrative oversight of team members
- Provide supervision to Extender team by observing and
monitoring paperwork/documentation to ensure that activities are
carried out within the assigned area in an effective manner.
- Provide coaching to employees to ensure continuous improvement
of performance in meeting the needs of the members and communities
- Respond to community needs/requests as appropriate and
participate in various leadership meetings.
- Ensure the team is meeting expectations as defined by Care
Management Department leadership.
- Manage staff performance, personnel concerns and annual
employee performance evaluations.
- Participate in and maintain Care Management and Vaya trainings
- Participate in Care Management Department meetings.
- Participate in Vaya organizational
- Participate in community collaborative meetings and
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATION AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:It is required that
incumbents of the role must be at least 18 years of age and must
have obtained at minimum a High School Diploma/GED. Incumbents of
the role must also meet at least one of the below requirements:
- Be a person with lived experience with an I/DD or a TBI with
demonstrated knowledge of and direct personal experience navigating
the North Carolina Medicaid delivery system.
- Be a person with lived experience with a behavioral health
condition who is a Certified Peer Support Specialist.
- A parent or guardian of an individual with an I/DD or a TBI or
a behavioral health condition and has at least two years of direct
experience providing care for and navigating the Medicaid delivery
system on behalf of that individual (parent/guardian cannot serve
as an extender for their family member).
- Has two years of paid experience performing the types of
functions described in the "Duties/Responsibilities" section of
this role description in addition to one year of paid experience
working directly with the Tailored Care Management eligible
Incumbents of the role are also required to successfully complete
training in Tailored Care management upon the start of their
employment with Vaya.
Close visual acuity to perform activities such as preparation and
analysis of documents; viewing a computer terminal; and extensive
reading. Physical activity in this position includes crouching,
reaching, walking, talking, hearing and repetitive motion of hands,
wrists and fingers. Sedentary work with lifting requirements up to
10 pounds, sitting for extended periods of time. Mental
concentration is required in all aspects of work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITIES:Extenders must complete the full
Tailored Care Management training curriculum. Additionally, to
ensure Extenders are sufficiently prepared and capable to perform
their duties, extenders' training must include practical
("hands-on") training modalities and evaluation, which may include
role play, use of call scripts, and practice sessions.Tailored Care
Management Training includes:
- Tailored Plan eligibility and services
- Whole-person health and unmet resource needs
- Components of Health Home/Tailored Care Management
- Ethics, boundaries, and personal safety
- Building a trusting relationship
- Community integration
- Health promotion
- I/DD- and TBI-specific trainings (if working with members from
- Transitional care management
- Skills to support health behavior change, including
- Person-centered needs assessment and care planning, including
LTSS and other needs
- Preparing members for and assisting them during emergencies and
- Infection control and prevention practices
- Understanding virtual/telehealth applications
- Needs of justice-involved individuals
- Additional trainings for serving:o Childreno Children with
complex needso Pregnant and postpartum persons with substance use
disorder (SUD) or with SUD historyo Members with LTSS need
Extenders must also demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
- Ability to establish appropriate and respectful relationships/
partnerships with persons with a wide range of disabilities and
healthcare conditions and their families.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with persons
who are upset and who disagree.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely orally and in
- Ability to work as a team member and under the direction of the
Care Manager and and the Care Management department.Good customer
service skills are essential.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: In accordance with the BH and I/DD Tailored
Plan requirements mandated by the NC Department of Health and Human
Services, certain Vaya Health positions are required to be filled
by individuals who reside in North Carolina, meaning someone who
establishes a legal domicile in North Carolina and pays income tax
in North Carolina, or resides within 40 miles of the North Carolina
border. New hires from outside of North Carolina will have 60 days
from the date of hire to meet this requirement, if applicable to
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Open until filled
APPLY: Vaya Health accepts online applications in our Career
Center, please visit http://www.vayahealth.com/careers-overview/
Vaya Health is an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: Vaya Health, Burlington , Manager - Care Management Extender, Executive , Burlington, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!