Medical Lab Scientist - Duke Regional Core Lab - Alternate Weekend, 3:00 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.
Company: Duke Health
Posted on: September 20, 2023
This is a part-time alternate weekend (Saturday and Sunday, 3:00
p.m. - 11:30 p.m.) in the core lab at Duke Regional Hospital.
-General DescriptionPerform a variety of routine and complex
technical tasks in the performance of laboratory tests to obtain
data for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Job duties
are dependent on the laboratory and may be composed of a
combination of the following duties and responsibilities related to
the specialization. Tasks are performed according to written
procedures and policies with careful monitoring of quality control
and quality assurance practices. -Work Performed
- Perform a variety of tests in clinical laboratories using
standard techniques and equipment
- Perform related duties in the laboratory to include specimen
handling, using manual and automatic equipment to test specimens,
and performing and reporting analytical tests.
- Operate manual or computerized instrumentation.
- Calibrate and maintain instrumentation according to standard
- Process patient samples for testing using appropriate
identification techniques and written procedures to ensure quality
material for testing.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of assay problems as directed by
- Communicate problems/issues to appropriate individuals.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Participate in the development of new medical laboratory tests
- Participate in the preparation for lab inspections.
- Review lab inspection documents and procedures to maintain
knowledge. Bring any non-compliance issues to the attention of
- Perform proficiency testing as directed to maintain compliance
with regulatory agencies.
- Document quality control and quality assurance results.
- Notify upper-level personnel of instrument malfunctions or
unusual or unexpected data or results.
- Review written procedures and policies for accuracy and submit
changes to the manager or designee.
- Understand, comply, and perform all necessary safety
- Maintain compliance with safety training.
- Report all safety incidents within 24 hours.
- Attend all laboratory meetings, safety, and compliance training
- Comply with competency testing procedures for the laboratory
staff. Comply with laboratory training programs.
- May provide technical guidance and instruction to students,
interns, residents, staff, and other employees.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described
herein. Use behaviors that support the achievement of balanced
scorecard targets and support DUHS (Duke University Health System)
- Consistently cooperate and communicate effectively with
co-workers to ensure effective workflow. -Knowledge, Skills and
AbilitiesWithin the clinical laboratories, we embrace Duke's
purpose, placing the patient at the center of everything we do. We
do this by demonstrating behaviors that focus on delivering
patient- and family-centered care and embodying the values that
promote a positive work culture. We expect every team member to
commit to these values and hold each other accountable in the
spirit of mutual respect and belonging. -Minimum
QualificationsEducationBachelors of Science/Bachelor of Arts in
Chemical, Physical, Biological, or Clinical Laboratory Science; or
Medical Technology required. Minimum educational or experience
requirements may be modified on a case-by-case basis at the
discretion of the CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment)
director if minimal CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement
Amendment) requirements are met by the employee for the tasks being
performed.ExperienceNone requiredDegrees, Licensures,
CertificationsCertification preferred. - - Duke is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment
opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color,
disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic
information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, or veteran status. - Duke aspires to create a
community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and
belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of
ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our
perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve
this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community
feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals
are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our
community have a responsibility to uphold these values. - Essential
Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke
University Health System may include essentialjob functions that
require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional
information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation
will be provided by each hiring department. -
Keywords: Duke Health, Burlington , Medical Lab Scientist - Duke Regional Core Lab - Alternate Weekend, 3:00 p.m. - 11:30 p.m., Healthcare , Efland, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!